Posted by: absolutepetcareaz.com | December 13, 2011

Pet Safety Tip: Avoid Poisonous Plants


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As the Holidays grow closer, it’s important to know which plants should be avoided for the safety of your pets.

Mistletoe – A common Christmas plant which may cause significant vomiting and diarrhea if ingested by your dog or cat.  Some animals who have ingested mistletoe have experienced signs of hallucinations, erratic behavior, difficulty breathing and slowed heart rate.  It is possible that if enough mistletoe is ingested, death can possibly occur.

Holly – May cause intense vomiting or diarrhea.

Poinsettia – Has a low level of toxicity, but may cause vomiting and most likely mouth and stomach irritation.

AmaryllisAbdominal pain, drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors and lack of appetite are all signs associated with the ingestion of Amaryllis.

Autumn crocusKidney failure, liver damage, bone marrow suppression, shock, diarrhea, vomiting blood and mouth irritation may result from ingesting the bulbs.

Jerusalem cherryMouth ulcers, respiratory depression, shock, death, mental depression, seizures, vomiting and diarrhea can occur.

Christmas rose – Vomiting, abdominal pain, delirium, bloody diarrhea are common.

Chrysanthemum – Ingestion may result in vomiting, depression, lack of appetite and diarrhea.

Christmas cactus – Large amounts of ingestion may cause vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and depression.

These are just a few of the plants you may want to avoid for the sake of your pets.

As always, if you are unsure of any plants or your pets have ingested a poisonous plant, contact the Animal Poison Control Center – ASPCA.org 888-426-4435.  But be aware there may be fees for contacting them.

Thanks for caring!

Tim Heise
– Certified Pet Care Specialist
Absolute Pet Care, LLC

Scottsdale, AZ

http://www.absolutepetcareaz.com/


Responses

  1. Nice post. I was looking at consistently this specific website and I am amazed! Invaluable information especially the remaining area I preserve this sort of information a lot. I became seeking this specific data for years. Many thanks as well as regarding fortune.

  2. Great post — glad you are warning pet owners of the potential dangers of poisonous plants. My beloved shih-tzu is fine now, but as a new dog owner I was not aware of common poisonous plants and it can be heartbreaking to have a sick puppy and not know what to do.

  3. But a smiling visitant here to share the love (:, btw outstanding style. “Make the most of your regrets… . To regret deeply is to live afresh.” by Henry David Thoreau.

  4. Some truly grand work on behalf of the owner of this site, absolutely great subject matter.

  5. Enjoyed reading through this, very good stuff, thanks . “If it was an overnight success, it was one long, hard, sleepless night.” by Dicky Barrett.

  6. Oh my goodness! an amazing article dude. Thank you However I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anyone getting identical rss problem? Anyone who knows kindly respond. ThnkxPSP3 Review

  7. Some truly winning prize content for this web-site, salvaged in order to preferred.

  8. […] Pet Safety Tip: Avoid Poisonous Plants (absolutepetcare.wordpress.com) […]


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: